Friday, July 19, 2013

Dog Days of Summer

It's been so hot recently, the dogs have not been eager to go and play. That's quite different from their usual 'we have to run through the backyard at top speed for HOURS or we're going to explode' attitude. The air has been soo humid you can almost taste the wetness in your mouth when you breathe. At least my dogs are short coated, I can't even imagine how it must feel outside for the long coated or double coated dogs. Well, I guess I can imagine it and the visual in my head is the Wicked Witch of the West - 'I'm melting! Melting! Oh, what a world!'. Yes, I'm sure that is what they think when they step outside :).



So what do you do with dogs that have plenty of energy but don't want to melt outside? Everything that you would do if it was raining, which I covered in a previous post. And don't forget the wonderful food puzzles, like the Tug-A-Jug!

But alas, you can't say inside forever! I found a cute, informative info graphic from TheUncommonDog.com that covers tips and tricks to keep your dog cool this summer.

Source: www.TheUncommonDog.com

A fun factoid: Your dog does mainly cool themselves through panting, however they do have sweat glands like humans. Only their sweat glands are located around their feet! Check to see if your dog is leaving little wet footprints :).

We do all these tips and tricks to keep our dogs cool, especially the baby pool. What are some things you do to keep your dogs cool but active in this sweltering heat?



2 comments:

  1. Roll up ice cubes in bandanas and tie them around their necks. Since my crew has to be crated while we're away, we also use redneck AC for them...a bowl of ice in front of the fan blowing towards their crates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent write-up. Cheers with regard to giving.

    ReplyDelete