Sunday, April 20, 2014

Parenting.com Article - Teach Kids Proper Pet Care

While I don't have kids {yet}, plenty of my friends do and I also work with many kids every summer through our county 4H program. A common theme I have observed is kids getting really excited to pick out a pet and bring it home...and then a few weeks later the excitement is over and the chores tend to fall to the parent. So how do you keep kids interested and enthusiastic past that initial excitement?

Teach Kids Proper Pet Care: Keep kids interested and invested past the pet store

Some kids will promise to do anything in order get a new pet, but it can quickly become a challenge to get them to follow through with their pet-care chores after the novelty wears off (and trust us, it will). Planning, parental involvement and open communication can make pet ownership a positive experience for all family members.

1. Make a list of all pet-care responsibilities, and talk with your children about which chores they feel they can handle. It's better to give a child an easy daily chore than a difficult one that occurs less frequently. Discuss why the chore is important and what could happen to their pet if the chore is not done (the animal could go hungry or get sick, for example). Make sure all family members participate in chores, and rotate those chores. Remember to serve as a role model. Children can learn responsible pet care by observing your behavior.

To continue reading click here


Have you tried any of these suggestion? What have you found to work with your kids?




Check out my other Parenting.com articles:








6 comments:

  1. We never had a pet when I was a child, and I never liked dogs. When I was 23, my sister brought us a dog that she couldn't keep at college anymore. While my mom and I were taking care of them, I grew attached...and luckily, she decided we could keep him. He ended up being my first dog and now I can't imagine my life without a dog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs have a certain way of worming themselves into your heart and staying there! :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! We have children who actively help out with the dogs. It's just become second nature to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! It's such a great responsibility for them to learn, especially for when they are out of the house and want their own pet :). They'll already know how much work it can be!

      Delete