Monday, February 25, 2013

Rug Muncher

Last night found us back at the ISU Vet ER, this time with Monday. She had decided earlier yesterday evening that the kitchen rug tasted good and should be part of her dinner. Those were bad thoughts, Monday!

The Offender




















PLUS


The Victim




















EQUALS


The Result. (Yes I had ISU bring it out so I
could take a picture of it!)





















It's not exactly cheap to go the ER clinic and induce vomiting. Sure, I could have waited to see if it would pass (which is what I did last year when she had a rug episode) but I didn't want to push my luck. This time I felt like I should take her in, and in my experience listening to those gut instincts usually pays off in the end. Sure, she didn't eat very much of the rug, but it was how she was acting after she ate it that had me worried. I'd much rather pay the $250 now and not worry about it, than wait for a week, worry the whole time, and be at risk for having to do surgery.

I do have to say my experience at the ISU Vet ER this time was hands down a hundred times better than last time when I took Baron in. I really, really liked the clinician - Dr. Swartzel. He took the time to go over everything with me and show me the vomit! Plus, he gave me a small anatomy refresher with the radiographs which was nice and took the time to email them to me. 

I love radiographs:

This shows matter in her stomach (the rug) and also a bulge of gas behind her stomach, which can be indicative of a blockage.

And I just liked this radiograph because you can see the muscle structure and the body wall and all kinds of cool things. Look at her beautiful spine! :)



Problems emerge and some people try to sweep them under the rug. ~Bill Condon

Not Monday! She just eats the rug :). What are some inanimate objects your dogs like to eat? 

2 comments:

  1. Sam-I-Am was a notorious consumer of underwear and electric plugs. Eyeglasses. Heating pad. A pair of stirrup leathers (he left me the buckles, though!), linoleum, jeans, and possibly a number of items I never identified or missed.

    Caris is unnaturally attracted to gloves, sheets, pillowcases, bacon-greasy paper towels, clean paper towels, facial tissues - both clean (he delicately slurps them, one at a time, from the box) and dirty (don't ask), and pretty much anything on the kitchen counter, dinner table, or in the trash can. Tracking and the utility glove retrieve are interesting with a dog who'd rather eat the glove than bring it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it weird how the tastes vary so much! LOL, Bourbon is a naturalist (wood, leather, metal, etc.), Monday is of course rugs, while Vito seeks out the paper products (paper towels, toilet paper, tampons, etc.). So far I have to say I have preferred Monday's tastes compared to the boys!!! Caris just likes to keep you busy :).

      Delete